In the tradition of United Methodist Church, baptism is a crucial threshold we cross on our faith journey. Baptism is:
- a sacrament of initiation into the catholic (universal) church;
- a sign of God’s forgiveness and our new life in Jesus Christ;
- the beginning of the growth process in grace that leads us to love God and neighbor and to follow Jesus;
- a gift of God that is received as a sign of God’s love for us.
Please review this information so that you and your child will have a wonderful experience on this important day:
- To receive the date and time you prefer, please contact D’Juana Beason at least one month in advance. Have a few dates in mind, as these slots fill quickly and only one baptism per service is permitted (exceptions made for siblings).
- At least one parent or grandparent of a child being baptized must be a member of First United Methodist Church.
- If you are not a member of First United Methodist Church, you may choose to join during the baptism moment.
- You will receive a letter with all baptism information needed by mail the week prior to your child’s baptism. If you have any questions once you’ve received this, please let us know.
- Sanctuary: is available each Sunday at 8:30 with Rev. Brady Whitton, Rev. Becky Poor, Rev. Pattye Hewitt and Rev. Fernie Rivera; and 11:00 am with Rev. Brady Whitton, Rev. Becky Poor and Rev. Pattye Hewitt
- America Street Service: is available each Sunday at 11:00 am with Rev. Fernie Rivera
Frequently Asked Questions
- How many people may come to the altar with us? We encourage all family and friends to join you at the altar.
- Are we allowed to leave during the service? The extended family and friends are expected to stay for the service. If necessary, you may take your child to the nursery.
- What does my child need to wear? Children customarily wear white baptism gowns or outfits.
- I haven’t received my information in the mail. What do I do? The letter includes the exact information listed in The Baptism Day section. This letter is sent at the beginning of the week, prior to the Sunday of your child’s baptism.
The Baptism Day
Our church looks forward to the baptism of your child. For your comfort and convenience, please note the following:
- Cancellations: We understand if you need to cancel or your baby gets sick at the last minute. Please notify D’Juana Beason.
- Sanctuary: There will be one pew reserved for you and your family on the left side of the pulpit. Please be in your pew 10 minutes before the service begins.
- All Other Locations: Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the service.
- Video Recording: The baptism will be recorded by our television ministry and may be viewed at this link.
- Photography: To preserve the dignity of the moment, we ask that no pictures be taken during the baptism ceremony.
- Mementos: A baptism certificate, a plaque, and small Madonna’s head will be given to you as mementos of your child’s baptism.
- We Understand: We are accustomed to cries, coos and unexpected events that young infants and children bring to the day. If your child is older and appears to not want to go to one of the ministers, they may ask you to hold the child while they baptize them.
- Note: Parking may be a problem, so please allow plenty of time