FUMC in cooperation with Dr. Terry Ellis and Chrysalis Interventions is hosting an event on Sunday, February 18, 2018 called Grace & Addiction: Break Every Chain, with the goal of connecting people with information and resources to help addicts and their families recover from addiction, educating our church and the Baton Rouge community about addiction, and presenting FUMC as a source of help, hope, and grace. This event is free and open to the public and you will find a more detailed schedule below.
About Chrysalis & Dr. Terry:
Dr. Terry Ellis is a minister and former Baptist pastor of 35 years, who became an alcoholic late in life and is now in recovery. After treatment and serving two more years as a pastor he heard God’s call on his life to found Chrysalis Interventions. He now conducts interventions that help get those struggling with substance abuse into treatment and recovery, also working closely with family members affected by their loved one’s disease. Visit http://www.chrysalisinterventions.com for more information.
Break Every Chain Schedule:
- 8:00 AM-12:00 PM | Displays in Gym : Local treatment providers/centers will have displays in the gym at FUMC from 8 AM-7 PM and be available to answer questions.
- 8:30, 9:45, and 11:00 AM | Morning Worship: Dr. Terry Ellis will share the story of his addiction, recovery and work with Chrysalis Interventions at each of the morning worship services.
- 1:30-4:30 PM | One-on-One Appointment: Dr. Terry and his team will be available to meet one-on-one with individuals or families on Sunday and on the following Monday. Consultations will be approx. 30 minutes long and will be scheduled by Rev. Becky Poor after each of the worship services.
- 5:00-7:00 PM | Afternoon Seminars and Q&A:
These informational seminars will help educate you about the disease of addiction and how you and your family can get well. Seminars will take place in the Conference Center at FUMC. Topics will include:
- The Brain & Addiction
- The Opioid Crisis: How Did We Get Here?
- The Myths of Addiction and Recovery: How Bad Ideas Keep Us Miserable
- Intervention: A Spiritual Negotiation
- How Do We Treat Addiction?
- Out of the Shadows: FUMC as a Place of Hope & Grace